The MAC Angels Foundation
Executive Director Position Description
The MAC Angels Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit corporation dedicated to supporting families with ALS. Founded in 2010 by a volunteer board, MAC Angels has assisted over 500 families over the past 7 years and is currently working with over 80 families.
Families are assisted by our services team, which consists of a Services Director, a Program Director, and a Social Worker. Presently our Board Directors lead our fundraising efforts and assist with the financial and legal needs of the Foundation.
The MAC Angels Foundation is at a critical juncture. As the demand for services continues to grow, we need to engage the expertise of an Executive Director who can lead our development efforts, oversee operations, and work to secure the additional resources needed to continue to meet our mission of supporting families with ALS.
The Executive Director, in partnership with the Board, will provide strategic leadership for MAC Angels and will be directly responsible for developing and executing plans for reaching the Foundation’s goals.
Development & Fundraising (40%)
Develop and execute annual fundraising plan
- Expand major fundraising initiatives beyond biennial gala or year-end appeal
- Manage and grow revenue from athletic events and general donations
- Cultivate relationships and grow donor base
- Grow revenue from family foundations and major donors
- Identify and solicit revenues from untapped sources; grants, foundations, major donors, etc.
- Expand fundraising efforts beyond athletic events
- Initiate and oversee first Independent Program Evaluation of existing services platform; hire consultant and identify full range of MAC Angels’ constituents to be included in assessing the organization’s record of success in meeting our stated mission
- Approve grant requests in accordance with established Foundation policies
- Communicate significant grant requests and issues to Executive Committee as appropriate
- Provide oversight of bookkeeping function and provide updated monthly results to Board
- Work with outside Accountant to ensure timely filing of annual Form 990, 1099s, annual Review Report, etc.
- Work with attorneys and Board members on any necessary governmental and other filings and legal issues
- Ensure adequate insurance coverage review and assess/manage risk
- Provide leadership in all areas of operations
Board Engagement (15%)
- Communicate with Board regarding development efforts and operations as appropriate
- Determine calendar for Board and committee meetings
- Work with Board President to develop agenda for Board meetings and present current financial reports
- Develop formal Board member expectations and commitments, ensure commitment forms are completed in a timely manner, in compliance with board expectations
- Lead recruitment and on-boarding of new board members in partnership with the Board
- Work with Board to develop board profile and succession plan
Marketing & Awareness (10%)
Act as spokesperson to represent MAC Angels at fundraising and community outreach events, which require attendance on weekends and evenings
- Identify marketing opportunities to expand base of support
- Oversee website content and raise awareness of the organization and its mission through a current, branded website
- Ensure current and relevant social media presence that promotes the organization, raises awareness, and engages the ALS community and its constituents
- Passion for and commitment to helping improve the quality of life for PALS and their families is critical
- Bachelor’s degree required, relevant advanced degree (s) or certifications preferred (non-profit management, health-care, fundraising & development, MBA, MSW)
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in non-profit management including building and leading teams, development efforts, operations and financial management
- Operations experience should include budgeting, financial reporting, risk management and human resource management
- Proven track record of instituting a development plan and securing funds from donors, foundations, grants and board directors
- Experience working effectively with Board President and executive committee as well as Board of Directors and other volunteers
- Experience with donor management and fundraising software as well as Excel, Word and PowerPoint preferred
- Experience with ALS preferred but not required
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Executive Director. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.